

Vik Munzik is a funny character; watching his video made me laugh a lot, as did viewing his artwork. When he was showing the picture of the clown skull, I thought that was comical. Google imaging his work, I found some humorous pieces. I enjoy the photo with Medusa in Marinara; I found it quite comical. I don't see this piece of work to be deeply meaningful because I think its main purpose was to be funny. After all, everyone knows Medusa is funny. Even the setup alone brings out laughter. But I do think that he is both a silly artist and a deep artist. Looking at his other pictures that he produced just made me think rather than laugh.
For example, the toy soldier picture I found to be deep. Looking into the picture, the soldier takes commands from the so-called "head honcho." This could be a metaphor for how real life as a solider works and how real life works in general. I think his work has some meaningful aspects of it as well as silly aspects. And that is a good balance; on one hand, he knows how to laugh, and on the other, he can deeply engage you in a picture and spark deep thought
Adam, this is a fine start. You are able to establish that Muniz's work is funny, but you fall short of showing that it is also deep.
ReplyDeleteYou start to tackle the question of "serious" meaning here: "this could be a metaphor for how real life as a solider works and how real life works in general," but unfortunately you do not follow through.
In general, it might be helpful to ground your arguments in specifics. For example, here: "After all, everyone knows Medusa is funny," I can't help but disagree. What do you mean? Most people find her to be terrifying. You need to back up this claim with some specifics.