Monday, March 15, 2010


Opening a mysterious book turning its staunch pages reveals photos which catch your attention. This book is taking lines, shapes and colors and showing how these "contours" interact and also these compare and contrast organization and disorganization. Paul's photo book doesn’t tell a story; rather, it shows more of a theme. And I feel the theme for this book is how people interact with colors, shapes, and "the contours" of life. There is a lot of comparing and contrasting with order and disorder; I feel that when I open this book of lines and shapes. For example the first photo in the books the subject is reaching up toward a light with a stack of books and a bookshelf behind her. All the other minor/background items all have a certain order to it but the stack of books that are under her arm are slightly disorganized. And even in the second photo, everything is very organized: the grass is cut the plants are growing straight up, the lines of the curb and the symmetry of the boots she is wearing, but the disorganization of the photo is the unnatural.
When I look at this book I feel a binary opposition. Just glancing over the book, on top is the order and lines and people interacting with these shapes and lines but when you look into the book a little bit deeper, it also shows a little disorganization. Even when you can try to capture the organization of something, there will always be a little disorganization as well.

1 comment:

  1. Adam, your basic idea - that this book presents order and disorder - is a good one. I'm glad that you give an example to support your point. This phrase, "staunch pages," is apt, quirky and wonderful. Your photo of Paul's book could be just a bit clearer - it is underexposed.

    ReplyDelete